Claim these new and little-used deductions and credits to save tax

Canada caregiver amount

This credit is new for 2017 and replaces the infirm dependent, caregiver and family caregiver tax credits. If you’re a caregiver for a dependent relative (parent, sibling, adult child or certain others)

Home accessibility expenses

If you’ve incurred certain expenses to improve the accessibility of a principal residence for a qualifying person (seniors and those eligible for the disability tax credit) you may be entitled to a tax credit of 15 per cent on up to $10,000 of eligible home renovation expenses.

Tuition costs

If you have a child who attends postsecondary school in or outside Canada, or even online, you may be able to claim a tuition tax credit for up to $5,000 of tuition costs if the student’s income is low enough that he or she can’t utilize the full credit.

Self-employment losses

You’re able to deduct any costs incurred for the purpose of earning income from a business as long as they’re reasonable in amount. When you start deducting a portion of your home-related costs, vehicle costs and more, you may have a loss to report.

Home office costs

You may be able to claim expenses related to a home office if it’s your principal place of work or the space is used solely for your work and used on a regular and continuous basis for meeting clients.

Vehicle costs

You’ll be able to claim part of your vehicle costs if you’re an employee, partner or business owner using your vehicle for work purposes.

Child care costs

You’re entitled to claim eligible child-care costs of up to $8,000 for each child under age 7, $5,000 for each child aged 7 to 16, $11,000 for a disabled child of any age (if they are eligible for the disability tax credit), and $5,000 for a disabled child older than 16 if they don’t qualify for the disability tax credit.

Leave a Reply